Thursday, January 24, 2013

Speaking Engagements

The entire afternoon I was staring at the token I received for a speaking engagement. I wanted to open it but it was prettily wrapped and more importantly I want to win over my EQ (emotional intelligence) and thus, I had to prove to the token that I can win over my EQ. 


Seriously, token and work aside, it dawned on me that I am blessed to be given the chance to share my stor(ies). 

The past 2 years I was invited twice, on my personal capacity, to speak in events. The first one was about choosing the right career (the talk I gave was entitled "I Am, I Choose, I Can") and the second one was Event Marketing. 


This realization appalled me. Yes,  a hardcore engineer is giving career (HR?) and marketing talks... and I am just all over the place. Jack of all trades, master of none. 

Sol Karen M. Regalado, J.O.A.T., M.O.N. 

Pwede! Talo ko pa ang PhD or MD or PMP. For what it's worth, I seized the opportunity and surprisingly enjoyed it.

Now the past 2 months, I had the chance to speak publicly again. The first one was during my high school reunion.


This is me about to give a toast. Pardon the margarita, it's the drink that I ordered when I was about to take the stage and decided that I should propose a toast.

I would've wanted champagne para kunyari sophisticated.

Here's an excerpt of what I shared. 


A couple of weeks back, my SFC community asked me to share about my love life blessing in 2012. Siguro inisip nila sa wakas may magpapakasal na sa akin! 


Thank you Rachelle Marie Dangin for this photo.

I was hesitant because part of the sharing is too personal and I am not sure if Person A would like the idea that I share very personal things about us. Unlike me who's walang hiya, Person A is a very shy and super private person. Kaya as much as I can, I don't use his real name on the blog - out of respect. 

Here's the outline of my extemporaneous sharing entitled: A Sharing of an Impatient Bride...


After minutes of pondering, I picked up 3 lessons from these experiences:

1. The great personal stories that we're blessed with are probably meant to be shared.
2. If people ask you a favor to speak, unless you have a very good reason not to accept, it is always good to say yes. If you can inspire 1 person in the crowd, that is already a success.
3. And if you are asked to speak, please please prepare. You owe the audience the story that they want to hear and the least you can do is give them a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...