Wednesday, February 15, 2012

History's Sweetest Love Letters

In the spirit of St. Valentine's Day celebration, Time Magazine featured History's Sweetest Love Letters. Nothing like sweet words in ink and paper to express the feelings you have for your special someone.

British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and his wife Clementine were married for 56 years and wrote to each other whenever they were apart. Winston wrote this letter to Clementine on Jan. 23, 1935, while she was traveling abroad:

“My darling Clemmie, in your letter from Madras you wrote some words very dear to me, about having enriched your life. I cannot tell you what pleasure this gave me, because I always feel so overwhelmingly in your debt, if there can be accounts in love…What it has been to me to live all these years in your heart and companionship no phrases can convey.”

Charles Darwin, author of Origin of Species, wrote a pros and cons list for getting married, and eventually decided to propose to his first cousin Emma Wedgwood. The couple had a happy marriage, producing 10 children. Charles wrote this note to Emma just a few days before their wedding in 1939:

“How I do hope you shall be happy as I know I shall be. My own dearest Emma, I earnestly pray, you may never regret the great and I will add very good, deed you are to perform on the Tuesday: my own dear future wife, God bless you…"

President Ronald Reagan wrote several love notes to his wife and eventual First Lady, starting when the couple first met. Nancy compiled some of his letters in her book I Love You, Ronnie. He gave her this note on Valentine’s Day in 1977:


“Dear St. Valentine,

I’m writing to you about a beautiful young lady who has been in this household for 25 years now—come March 4.

I have a request to make of you but before doing so feel you should know more about her. For one thing she has 2 hearts—her own and mine. I’m not complaining. I gave her mine willingingly, and like it right where it is. Her name is Nancy but for some time now I’ve called her Mommie and don’t believe I could change.

My request of you is—could you on this day whisper in her ear that someone loves her very much and more and more each day? Also tell her, this “Someone” would run down like a dollar clock without her so she must always stay where she is.”
I've written my fair share of love letters and this has been well reciprocated.

Presenting...

Ang Mga Liham ni Ernesto





These have come in so many forms: cards, post-its, letters, table napkins, receipts, hotel stationeries and even documents left in my computer. I randomly pick a card and re-read them from time to time. One of my favorites is the daily letters he made when he was away for a month. *kilig* Hopefully, one day I get to share these letters with my kids and grandkids. Nothing like good old-fashioned gesture to express "It's Valentine's Day Every Day".In other words, A for a-ffort!

So how's the V-DAY? We made it special like the way you did. 


If you haven't expressed it yet, it's never too late to grab a paper, buy a flower, give that chocolate or sing that song. 


After all, everyday should be St. Valentine's day.

3 comments:

  1. i have the "i love you ronnie" book. sheesh, nancy's one lucky girl. searched far and wide for it. thank heavens for books for less! ;-) long live hand-written love letters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mims! -(",)-*wink* May I borrow it sometime? I'd love to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://kimpoindotama.blogspot.com/2016/07/elektromotorw-elektrim-cantoni.html?showComment=1594714602282#c8946745091264628849

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...