Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Don't Believe in Make-up: Face Moisturizer Edition

Remember I told you that I don't believe in make-up? Thank you very much for your positive reception to that post, it got a decent number of comments.  Let me continue the series with the night face moisturizers I swear by.  I am in no way an expert on beauty products but I can tell you that I consciously take care of my skin: lots of fruits and vegetables, at least 3 Liters of water a day, and if I have the money, I don't scrimp on beauty products.


My daily regimen consists of cleansing, toning and moisturizing; right after I shower in the morning and just before I go to bed at night. Among the products I smother on my face, night moisturizer is my favorite. Moisturizer is considered the cornerstone of good skin care. It forms a barrier between the skin and the environment and at the same time allows moisture to be locked in. Given the number of moisturizers available in the market, the key is knowing what your face needs, match it up with an active ingredient and be patient (it takes at least 8 weeks!) to see its effects. 

That's my face very raw at 6PM: with 5 hours of sleep, after a day at work and nothing on. I am good with it. 



According to research, ingredients like ceramides, fatty acids and cholesterol help keep moisture and repair the skin's protective barrier. 

If you're moisturizing sensitive skin, salicylic acid, feverfew, chamomile and aloe vera can help soothe irritated or inflamed complexion. Hydroquinone, kojic acid, cucumber/licorice/mulberry extracts alleviate blotching and spotting as does glucosamine.

On anti-ageing: Peptides rev up collagen production, boosting firmness and smoothing wrinkles. Vitamin C is needed by skin to make collagen. Antioxidants like idebenone, Vitamin E, coenzyme Q and green tea may help prevent wrinkle-formation. Btw, retinol is the most highly regarded ingredient that treats wrinkles.

I like taking care of my skin. I want to have good skin 30 years down the road and there's nothing like going out with no make-up on yet having the best glow, smooth and blemish-free skin. I do get pimples easily so putting make-up is never an option. Below are a run-down of my favorite night-time moisturizers. I haven't tried a lot but I already like the effects of these products on my skin so I don't bother looking for other products. 

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer (~ PhP 1200)


According to the packaging the moisturizing effects are continued beneath the surface layer leaving the surface area soft and the other layers nurtured. The consistency is not too light and not too heavy, although it usually feels oily after application. However, once you let it sit through the night, the skin feels supple and oil-free in the morning.  What I like about this product is it makes my skin baby-smooth and has that fresh face look to it. This is actually my favorite.

Mario Badescu Hydro Moisturizer with Vitamin C (Php 1250)


Its main function is hydration so dry-normal skin will benefit from this. Although I suspect, oily skin will also find this product great considering that it's greaseless. I consider this a light formula and since I don't have a primer at home, so when there's a need, I double use this as a primer before I put on foundation. It actually works! It pretty has much the same effect on my skin as Kiehl's: you actually feel that your skin has sufficient moisture lock in without being too oily. The texture comes out perfect! The reason why I like the former is I find this a little bit expensive than Kiehl's. 


Body Shop Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream (~ PhP 500, when it's on sale)


It's marketed as an antioxidant which repairs skin cells as you sleep. Among the products I use, this feels heaviest on my skin, which kinda gives a good feeling if you need intense hydration. In the morning, the skin is smooth, supple just a little less than how the 2 products work for my skin. The reason why I get this is it's much cheaper than the other 2 (when it's on sale!) and I like to rotate products once I consumed a bottle. 

A 60-mL bottle, used once day lasts me 4-6 months. I say, not so bad. Also, if you ever try getting these products, ask other samplers from the sales associate. -(",)-*wink* Freebies are great and you also get to try other lines.

If you ask me, night cream does wonders to my skin. Of course that's in combination with other products and regimens that I do. And again, I'll say this I believe that great skin comes from within: good products, lots of water, exercise (sweat cleanses out impurities from your pores!), proper diet with lots of fruits and veggies, and a good disposition. I am an advocate of all these and mind you, they usually trump the best products in the market.

Greenbelt 5 
Mall of Asia

Mario Badescu
Rustan's Department Store
Makati, Alabang, Gateway Mall Cubao

Body Shop
Major Malls in the Country

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...