I always love to see the surprised look on people's faces when I tell them that I from Mindanao. I can imagine the things running in their mind: terrorists, bombings, political killings, lack of electricity and all horrible things imaginable. To be truthful, that's very far from the Mindanao I know and most people from my place would agree. I grew up in a place where peace and quiet is the norm and not a luxury, mountains and forests surround the city, white sand beaches are the finest, lapu-lapu and tuna are the freshest (and extra cheap!), fruits can be had for PhP 15 a kilo, lechon is the best and flowers are forever in bloom.
Mindanao is also home to beautiful, indigenous fabrics that make beautiful bags.
VESTI, a proudly Mindanao brand, showcases the beauty of handwoven, natural fibers from different tribes in Mindanao. VESTI is wearable, sustainable lifestyle fashion bags combining "Mindanaonon-materials" and modern embellishments.
While browsing through the collection last week, I can't help but get giddy with most of it. If I have to narrow things down to a few personal picks, these are my preference
Abacago clutch (top), Abanze (middle), Amour Sling (bottom) and Jing Clutch (right). I can use these bags on a casual brunch, running errands and a night cap. Mind you, these bags are priced reasonably. Check themall.ph for prices.
The fabulous lady behind the brand is another proud Mindanao-bred: Martha Rodriguez.
She's raised in Cagayan de Oro, graduated BS Clothing Technology and Textiles from UP Diliman (yes, she knows her fabrics and bags) and has worked for renowned international fashion labels both in New York and Manila. To follow her passion in promoting the place where she's from and give back to the community, she quit her glamorous job (no matter how many shoes it can buy) and start sketching bags.
Since its release in October 2011, famous fashionistas have been spotted carrying VESTI bags. As featured in Stylebible.ph, meet the ladies who rock Vesti.
Aprille Cabrera toting Dita Drawstring (rightmost top), "ETCETERA' host (and Jericho Rosales's girlfriend) Patti Grandidge carrying the Amour clutch (leftmost top), the Grassalfon clutch as featured in Laureen Uy's blog (lower left) and how to create the 60s look with Jing Clutch (top photo second to the right) as featured in themall.ph.
In celebration of Mother's Day, Maybe She's That Girl and VESTI WILL BE GIVING AWAY 3 BAGS TO INDIVIDUALS (daughters/sons/husbands/anyone) WHO WISH TO HONOR THEIR MOTHERS or the mother figure IN THEIR LIVES THIS MOTHER'S DAY. The bags will come from the yet-to-be-released collection so the recipient gets first dibs on the products.
This giveaway is very personal for Martha and I. We both admire and are at awe with our respective moms. VESTI will not be possible without the support of her fashion idol: her mom.
For me, I can never say thank you enough to the strongest, most compassionate and loving woman who raised me. If I'd turn out half the woman she is, I'd be very happy.
Don't you love winning one of these bags for the most amazing woman in your life?
Giveaway mechanics are as follows:
1. Leave a comment on the blog: "I want to give Mama/Mommy/Ma'am _______ (name of mother/mother figure) a VESTI Bag for Mother's Day". In 3 sentences OR LESS describe why she's awesome and deserves the best for her day. Don't forget to leave your Facebook User Name.
"I want to give Mama Yeye a VESTI Bag for Mother's Day. She gives the best reassuring words when the going gets tough. She encourages and supports me to pursue my dreams. She is simply the best.
Sol Karen Regalado"
2. Like VESTI's Facebook Page. Click here.
3. Click the Facebook link at the end of the entry to post this blog on YOUR Facebook page. Please make sure that this post is on "Public View"
4. Contest ends on May 17, 11:59 PM.
5. Only one entry per person on this blog but feel free to repost and share as many times as you like.
6. Three winners will be selected by Maybe She's That Girl and will be announced on May 20, 8:00PM. Please make sure that you've done Steps 1-3, I'll check Vesti's Page and YOUR page once your comment has been chosen.
7. Winners will be contacted through Facebook and goodies will be sent via courier (for outside Metro Manila) and courier/meet-up in Makati (if within Metro Manila)
8. Contest is open to ANYONE, ANYWHERE who wants to thank their mother/mother figure on Mother's Day.
VESTI bags are available Online, Manila and Cebu: