Friday, April 15, 2011

Caversham Wildlife Park: Kangaroos, Koalas and Wombats

Hi, I am Fifi! I am taking over Mum’s blogging duty. As for my credentials, I also run a blog “Fifimeetsworld” but I haven’t updated it for more than a year. I’ll get back to it as soon as Mum allows me to.

So, anyway…

Mum finally brought me along to soak in some Aussie goodness. She has been slacking the past few days and left me in the room. I am not liking it.

So off I went to the wildlife park.

The sign shows the different animals one can see in the park.

 























I am not a wild life, nor am I Aussie, just so you know.

First stop is the Kangaroo enclosure where we get to pet and feed kangaroos. As instructed by our guide, you can touch the back but not the face and front, they might get aggressive and engage you in a kangaroo boxing match.


There’s the red kangaroo with an oversized joey in its pouch.

“Hey Dad, I perched on the kangaroo’s back! I bet you can’t do this! =P”


This is a gray kangaroo, by the way.

As you know, marsupials are mammals which give birth to undeveloped young and nurse it inside their pouch until maturity. The highlight of my visit is seeing a wombat. It is a burrowing marsupial which can “run” at 40 kph and digs a burrow up to 3 meters deep.


The wombat I am with weighs 30 kgs! This one is sleeping and I think she’s just the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

After the wombat, we headed to the Koala enclosure. The guide reminded us that koalas are not bears. They’re marsupials hence should not be called bears, there’s no such thing as koala bears. Just koalas.

 

They feed solely on eucalyptus leaves which have 2% protein content, they’re not getting much from it.

Apart from the marsupials, there were emus, dingos, kookaburras and lots of birds and reptiles. The park also maintains farm animals such as donkey, sheeps, herding dogs, horse, a milking cow, feathery chickens and lots more.

I even witnessed a sheep being sheared during the Farm Show.























In Summary:

1. Caversham Park is worth visiting because you get to have close encounters with the marsupials as opposed to seeing them inside a cage.

2. For non-Aussie visitors, organized trips such as the one we took are better because it eliminates the hassle of having your own transportation arrangements.


Lord Street, Whiteman Park
9284.1984

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...