Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Gayuma ni Maria

I had a girl-bonding afternoon with a very lovely friend last Saturday. We gave our nails their much needed pampering. I chose to paint my toe nails with this soft shade of purple


Bonbon, from Orly.



This is fast becoming a favorite. It’s so purrrty and compliments my asian skin tone (read: kayumanggi).  The type of sweet shade that doesn’t come out tacky. Daphne loves it, too. * Fan girl mode *

Then we headed to the fabled Gayuma (ni Maria) restaurant in Maginhawa, UP Village. When I was in college, Gayuma was already a famous restaurant. It is famous for its quirky menu and their “Better than Sex” dessert. I never had the chance to try it.

Gayuma, according to Filipino folklore, are love potions or spells that are used to attract a mate.  I think it is a wise choice for a restaurant name. It conveys a message that their secret ingredients will keep you coming back for more.

The Place

The restaurant is a neighborhood place. It is tucked in a residential subdivision, with the patio and living room of the house converted into a dining area. Stepping into the restaurant feels like going inside a fortune-teller’s lair. 


The drapings are not that great, too colorful for my taste.

This is the inside of the resturant


And this is the Japanese room upstairs. I think this is perfect for huge groups.


The walls are adorned with potion concoctions.


Let’s head straight on to the food. They have a quirky, “sex-fueled” menu, I kinda think it’s creative.

No Boyfriend Since Birth (PhP 215)

The dish’s tagline is “with the perfect blend of pesto and cheese who needs boys?”

Hmmm… I think I do. Je t'aime mon boyfriend! Yihee, cheesy!


This is good pasta. The noodle is al dente, the sauce has a just-right tang of basil and the walnuts add a surprising texture to the whole thing.

Once You Go Black, You Never Go Back (PhP 225)

Cocoa-crusted cream dory with chocolate sauce – served with rice.


Sweet-salty, crunchy outer crust with soft fillet inside. Yum! Anna and I loved it!

We weren’t able to consume our order so I had it wrapped for take-out. Unfortunately, the staff gave the order to another group. So… they offered me a fresh order of another best seller for take out… for free! 

Yay!

I Love You, Cross My Heart (PhP 215)

Fried chicken breast with cheese, shiitake mushroom and asparagus.


I say this is glorified fried chicken, the crust and add-ons are divine while the meat itself is juicy.

In one corner of the restaurant, this wall post is painted.


It made me giddy to try their city-wide famous dessert.

Beats Sex Any Day (PhP 75)

Rich chocolate cake, mercilessly topped with butterscotch, cream and chocolate bits. 


For its price, I think this is a good deal. I am not  big on the texture of the cake but I like how it tastes and the topping makes this dessert unique. I say, worth the try.

In Summary:

1. You go to Gayuma ni Maria for the food. All the dish we tried were superb. I was amazed and I will make this one of my go-to restaurants in QC. The serving size is just right for its price.

2. It is best to enjoy the place with friends and family, if they’re not the conservative type who gets offended with the sexually-suggestive dishes. If you opt to bring a date, maybe someone you’re really comfortable with. I just find this too aggressive for a first date, unless you’re both liberal or your date is a foodie.

3. The ambiance is okay but the materials used (drapings, table cloths) and the walls can all be improved. 

123 Maginhawa St., Sikatuna Village
Quezon City
63.2.441.4872

1 comment:

  1. Doctor White Spiritual Temple Come & Experience Ang pagkakaiba

    Mayroon ka bang problema sa espirituwal o kailangan mo ng espirituwal na tulong sa anumang uri tulad ng
    ang iyong pag-aasawa ay hindi gumagana sa paraang nais mo, o ang iyong partner ay pagdaraya sa iyo o hindi ka makapagbigay ng mga anak o kailangan mo ng totoong pag-ibig o kailangan mo ng espirituwal na proteksyon sa anumang uri sa iyong negosyo o sa iyong tahanan o sa ang iyong lugar ng pagtatrabaho, o nagtatrabaho ka ngunit hindi ka maaaring magbigay ng account kung ano ang iyong ginagawang trabaho para pagalingin namin ang lahat ng uri ng pagkakasakit at pagbaba (ETC) ang kailangan mo lang gawin ay makipag-ugnay sa amin sa aming e-mail: doctorwhitespiritualtemple @ gmail.com

    Halika sa amin ngayon upang matatapos namin ang lahat ng iyong espirituwal na mga problema nang minsan at para sa lahat

    Ang anumang tulong na aming inuupahan sa iyo ay hindi dumating sa anumang mula sa panunumbalik

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...