Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Egg

I finally weaned myself off the internet. 

In between running errands for the 'rents (they were here for a week) and making up for lost time with Person A, I can happily report that real life is more fab than sitting on my white chair and spend the time lurking the internet. 

In one of my grocery runs, I came across a huuugggeee egg in the chiller.


An ostrich egg, available in the grocery store! I thought they're just available in the ostrich farms. This particular egg weighs 1.5kg and retails at PhP 1300! My mind went: I should buy this and make some omelette. Person A suggested making hard-boiled egg out of it. For the former, the main concern is where to source out a drill since the shell is 0.06 in thick! And the latter, it takes 1.5 hours to cook it in boiling water.We contented ourselves touching and holding the egg. Low EQ!

What are the interesting facts inside this shell?



1. It contains 2000 calories. That's enough to feed 5 of me.
2. An ostrich hen can remain productive for 25-35 years. That's a lot of 1-kg eggs, ostrich feathers for the Brit's fascinators, and an ostrich hide for your bag at the end of its life. 
3. Obviously, this is the largest egg from a living bird.

According to my research, ostrich eggs make good omelette and scrambled egg as it is fluffier than chicken eggs. If you're interested to buy some, you may catch this egg at Rustan's Supermarkets. 

1 comment:

  1. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your
    webpage? My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would certainly benefit
    from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know
    if this alright with you. Cheers!

    Feel free to surf to my page hair stylists

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...